Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Teaser Tuesday - Essays in Idleness

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts (have I apologised before?). Anyway, I won't be posting for the next few days because I've just moved into my new room in a new country (Japan), so I'm adjusting. I will be posting on what's going on at With Love From Japan, Eustacia because that's what's going on. I won't really be reading much.... But anyway, here's this week's Teaser Tuesday, from Essays in Idleness by The Tsurezuregusa of Kenko (translated by Donald Keene):

"The poor man supposes that courtesy involves giving presents; the aged man, that courtesy consists in expending one's energy. True wisdom consists in knowing your own capacity and stopping at once when something is too much for you." (page 110)

There are quite a few translations around, but this is my favourite ^^

1 comment :

  1. That's definitely good advice. It's learning how to say "no" and to know when to say it. Loved this teaser.
    Mine is here: Sandy's Teaser

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^