Friday, March 8, 2013

Buyer Beware by Diane Vallere

After so long, I'm reading a fashion-related mystery again! This really reminds me of the Crime of Fashion series (I used to get a book everytime I went to the library!).

Buyer Beware follows Samantha Kidd as she investigates the death of an employee at a recently opened designer-bargain shop Heist. And this book really starts off with a bang! The very first page has Samantha committing premediated robbery. Well, she's doing this to win a Heist competition and get a prize.

Of course, the 'robbery' was successful. But at the party, the Handbag Buyer of Heist is found dead. And suddenly, the boss of Heist is at her doorstep offering her the job of Handbag Buyer - with a catch. Now, she has to find out who killed the buyer.

I think that this book was more about the mystery (or trying to uncover the mystery anyway), than the fashion aspect. Apart from the fact that she works in a clothing company, and a quick lesson on fakes (that is limited to a non-existant brand), there's not much mention of fashion anywhere. The emphasis is clearly on Samantha as she tries to find out who the killer is.

The strength of the book are clearly the characters. There's Samantha, Cat (her former enemy turned friend), Eddie (childhood friend) and Dante (Cat's brother). The relationship between Samantha and Dante was especially interesting, since the two are so clearly attracted to each other - but Samantha has a guy in Italy. Take note, this triangle isn't resolved by the end of the book.

This book should appeal to anyone needing a light read. It's not like Agatha Christie where you have to think about who the murderer is. I think it's a good book for those looking for some distraction.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^