Wednesday, May 15, 2013

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

I was so happy when I started reading this book! I thought it was going to be something like Life on the Refrigerator Door (link to review), but instead of using notes, it would be done through email. But alas, most of the novel is written normally.

But, it's still a really good novel. This Is What Happy Looks Like (henceforth TIWHLL, oh forget it. I don't think I'll need to use the title again) follows Ellie O' Neil, a girl living in "Middle-of- Nowhere Maine", and ultra famous movie star Graham Larkin as they meet for the first time. Previously, they had only emailed one another, which started because of a misspelled email address. So it was really chance that brought them together.

And isn't chance sweet? Both of the characters are so lovable and make such a great pair. Despite being a huge star, Graham is still down-to-earth and is so sweet! (I prefer a nice guy over the misunderstood bad boy). Ellie is really a small-town girl, but she (and her mom) hide a fairly huge secret that blows up in the novel.

From that last sentence, you should be able to guess how the climax of the novel goes. I won't tell you anymore, but you should know that the plot is largely character driven. Personally, I think it really fits the story, but if you need a big plot  (taking over the world, defeating a secret society, etc) you might find this book too slow for your tastes.

This is a very sweet book and I highly recommend it!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^