Monday, June 17, 2013

Secret for a Song by S.K Falls

Ironically, I read this book while I was ill. Not ill with the flu or something like that, but ill in the sense of "I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I think that my Thalassemia is getting worse (or so my doctor thinks as well)". So being in that general condition may have something to do with my reactions to the book.

Secret for a Song revolves around incredibly privileged Saylor (who, if she's the one depicted on the cover, doesn't really look half-Indian) who's also has Munchhausen Syndrome. Munchhausen Syndrome is an illness where the sufferers intentionally try to make themselves ill.

Now I, for the life of me, can't understand why. I remember being healthy, and I'm now what you could possibly be considered sickly, and I prefer being healthy. Sure, when Saylor talks about being fussed over for being sick and stuff, I can sort of understand how the attention is nice, but it's nothing compared to being healthy. Being healthy means I can do things like kendo and golf and go to school and meet my friends, and well, I might get lots of messages when I'm sick, but that doesn't help when you're so tired and feel so terrible that all you want to do is sleep. Sleep is good. Sleep is... ok, back to reality.

To sum up that rather rambling paragraph, I have very little sympathy for Saylor. I did, however, admire the other characters - Zee, Drew, Pierce, all those in TIDD (a support group for those with terminal illness). I think the strength of the book lies in how those characters are not pitied at all.

As a note to younger/more sensitive readers, there's a lot of f-bombs in this book, and sex. It's not explicit, but it's not implied - the act is simply not described (thankfully). So you may not want to read this book if things like this disturb you - added on to the subject matter and you may have a very negative reaction.

This is an interesting book, and I think it deals with two very difficult subjects rather well. If I was less sensitive and in a better state of health while I read it, I would probably be fangirling right now.

Disclaimer: I got this galley from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^