Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard (ARC)

Wait, is this book seriously from Harlequin? I'm sorry, but I've always associated Harlequin with light fluffy romance stories. This was deep moving, and not about romance (in the traditional swept-of-your-feet kind of way).

The Mourning Hours deals with the fallout of a missing-person's case. Kirsten (our narrator) is the younger sister of the town's (wrestling) hero Johnny. After she helps Johnny and his girlfriend Stacy get together, things start to become rather strange. Strange as in Stacy-is-insane strange.

I honestly thought this novel would end up with Stacy turning into some kind of obsessive stalker-girl.

But, it took a twist when Stacy disappeared and Johnny was suspected of murdering her. The rest of the novel deals with the fallout, and how small towns can take sides, and the mob mentality, and really, it's a look at human nature.

There I said it. I'm making some sweeping literature statement, and no, I'm not about to write an essay. I honestly think that this book could be used as a literature text, and while I'm not about to start analysing it, I think it has a lot of meaning. (Disclaimer: I was never a good literature student, so please don't take my word for it and tell your teacher that you're doing an EE about it, because he/she may not accept it.) I love how it's not just about teen love, it's not just about growing up, but it kind of has everything.

You'd think this book would be a lot longer, what with the breadth of the topic.

I can't reccomend this highly enough.

Disclaimer: I got a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^