Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Anomaly by Krista McGee

Anomaly is Krista McGee's first foray into Sci-Fic/Dystopian fiction. Before that, she wrote books like First Date, Starring Me and Right Where I Belong (And I loved them all)! So while I was sad that her latest book isn't in that same world, I was also pretty excited to see how she would tackle this new genre.

Anomaly follows Thalli, the titular character who experiences emotion, making her an anomaly. In the world that Thalli lives in, humans have destroyed their own world, and so the Scientists have started re-creating mankind to be without emotions, born to fufill their role. Thalli is her pod's musician, and for some reason, she feels too much.

The book is told from Thalli's point of view, which I think severely limits things. I didn't really get a sense of how the world functioned - I knew a bit of the history, a bit of how it worked, but it never really came to life for me.

Likewise for the characters and their relationships. I think writing about a world where most characters don't feel is tough. So the challenge is to show Thalli as different. But, she has Bert (check name), her romantic interest, so she never feels that isolated. I think that at least for this book (this seems like a series), their relationship should have been put on hold.

Honestly, my favourite part was the ending, because it brought a tiny twist to the whole plot and made in more interesting. Up till then, it felt fairly standard. I could more or less guess what was going to happen.

Well, the bottom line is, it's decent. Not as good as her previous books, and not as good as some other books in this genre, but it's a nice read. I wish I could muster more enthusiasm, but it seems like Sci-Fi/Dystopian is not really her forte.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^