Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sun Tze for Success by Gerald Michaelson

My parents got me this book because they know that I'm interested in things like that (although my Chinese is terrible). And it took some time, but I finally read this book!

Well, this book has two parts - Part One is the translation of The Art of War in English. Part Two is how you can apply The Art Of War to your life. Each chapter is pretty short, and there's an even shorter summary at the end of each chapter. For Part Two, it's subdivided into five sections - Personal Characteristics for Success, Strategies for Success, Tactics for Success, Competitive Success, and Examples for Success.

So that is what the book is about. And from the blurb, it says that this book is "following up on the bestselling success of Sun Tzu: The Art of War for Managers". That gave me a huge "aha" moment. This book felt so much like reading a business book, although it's supposed to be a general self-help type of book. I'm not sure if it's the language or just a weird sense that comes from reading too many business-related books, but I kept thinking I was reading a managing handbook. So if you're the type that drops off at the hint of "business", you might want to hold back on this book.

All in all, this is a pretty interesting book. Apart from the sense that I was reading something business-related (which I didn't actually mind that much), this is an easy-to-read book about how Sun Tzu could apply to our lives.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^