Thursday, March 6, 2014

White Hart by Sarah Dalton

Nooooo, I need the next book now!

That was basically my reaction to the ending of White Hart.

Wait, let me go back to the beginning. In White Hart, Mae is the only one in her generation to be craft-born. And guess what? The lucky craft-born gets to marry the heir to the throne. But Mae doesn't want to marry the Prince (though she has never met him) and so, she's relieved when Ellen, a girl from her village, manages to trick everyone into thinking that she was craft-born.

But unfortunately, through a really unfortunate incident, her father is killed and Ellen kidnapped. And so, Mae goes into the enchanted Waerg Wood with her white stag Anta (how cool is that?) and the Casimir, the prince.

My favourite character was definitely Mae. She grows a lot in the novel, and I could see her change from a hot-headed and rather vicious young lady (if you read how she treated Sasha at first you'll understand) to a well, she's still hot-headed, but she's also rather self-sacrificial and really nice. The only thing I didn't understand about her was why she fell in love with Casimir. I mean, one moment their sniping and each other and the next, she likes him? Personally, I hope that she finds someone way better in the next book.

Which brings me to the ending. At the ending I was all... WHY IS MAE SO NICE?!?! and I NEED THE NEXT BOOK!

What this novel has going for it is that it's addictive and it has a great protagonist. It's weaknesses are the cliched "I like him but he doesn't like me" and a few personality changes in characters that don't make sense. For example. Sasha and Ellen's sudden friendship with Mae. But overall, I loved this book.

Ok, so now I'm conflicted. I don't know whether I should recommend you buy the book now (it just came out yesterday after all) and have you suffer the agony of the cliff hanger, or whether I should tell you to wait for the next book.

Wait... Good cliffhanger = higher chance of fanfiction. Ok, everyone go buy it, read it and write some fanfiction!

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^