Thursday, March 10, 2016

Candyfreak by Steve Almond by Steve Almond

Before I read Candyfreak, I thought I liked Candy. After reading this, I realised that I am far, far from a Candyfreak. Steve Almond is clearly the master here.

Candyfreak is basically about this guy's love story with candy, and about the underdog candy makers (I.e. The companies that are not Nestle and the like). Which is probably why I don't recognise most of the candy here. There's something called the Idaho Spud, there's a Big Hunk, and all sorts of candies that I don't recognise. Clearly when I went to the US, going only Walmarts and Targets meant that I was limiting myself.

But after listening to Steve describe the candies that he ate, I want to try them all! I especially want to try Valomilk!!

Image from Wikipedia

Valomilk is basically a marshmallow cream in a chocolate shell. I imagine it's like Reeses but with marshmallows instead of peanut butter.

I want to try one so badly! But apparently it's only available in some areas of the US, and they don't even deliver to certain regions if the weather is too hot. I don't even know if it's still around, since the book was probably published quite a few years ago.

Anyway, the book has an extremely distinctive conversational style. I find it amusing, but I can imagine some people finding it annoying. But I liked it - it felt like a friend was telling me stories. It was all very amusing, and without you even noticing it, bits and pieces of information - how a candy is made, the history of a company - is slipped into the text. I think I learnt something, though right now, my craving for sweet treats is the most dominant emotion.

If you think you like candy, give this book a go. You might discover that you don't know as much as you think. And if the author didn't live in the US, I'd be tempted to send him some of the bake-able kitkats just to see what he thinks.

2 comments :

  1. I think this book would be dangerous for me. LOL I have such a sweet tooth. This sounds like a fun read. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess I'm lucky I can't get most of these! (;

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^