Tuesday, October 11, 2016

In the Belly of the Bloodhound by L. A. Meyer

The Bloody Jack series is one where I take ages between the book (even though they have cliffhangers and everything) and then when I finally pick it up, finish it in one day.

In the Belly of the Bloodhound is book 4 in the Bloody Jack series. With a warrant out for her arrest (for piracy), Jack takes refuge at the school she once fled from. But on one excursion, she and the other girls are kidnapped - to be sold as slaves in Africa! But Jacky had been a pirate, had been in wars, and there is no way she is going to become a slave. The challenge: convince the young ladies to rise up to the task and find a way to escape (also, get along with Clarissa, who is Jacky's arch-rival)

The starting was a little slow, but once the girls got kidnapped, the book was impossible to put down.

While Jacky's best friend at the school, Amy, isn't present for the adventure, we do get to see a lot of the other girls, and they're as engaging as Jacky, although not all of them are likeable. I also thought it was sweet that she found Hughie, from her old London gang, which made the actual escape more believable (though her feats are, generally, quite hard to swallow!)

I enjoyed the adventure very much, and even shed some tears towards the end of the book.

The book almost ended with a happy ending, but then it switched to a cliffhanger. But after I borrowed and read the first chapter of the next book, I didn't feel the need to press on.

I guess it's now up to chance to see if I end up reading Book 5

2 comments :

  1. Haha! I like that you read the first chapter of the next book to see how the cliffhanger turned out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I'm lucky that the library had it for instant borrow.

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^